Donna Summers' High Octane Salad
Ingredients for Dressing
- 3 fresh lemons
- Cold pressed virgin olive oil
- Celtic salt or sea salt & black pepper
Ingredients for Salad
- Kale (approx. 2 leaves, cut away thestem)
- Baby spinach (approx. 1 handful)
- Endive (1 endive medium size sliced in rings)
- Baby romaine (1 head per person, shredded 1/2 inch thick), if not available use regular romaine lettuce
- Butter lettuce (approx. 8 leaves)
- Red radish (4 to 5 medium size, thinly sliced)
- Radicchio (½ large, shredded)
- Red & yellow pepper
- (1 small or ½ large chopped)
- Baby cucumber (2 sliced)
- Red onion (small sliced)
- Fresh mint (3 stalks finely chopped)
- Fresh basil (3 stalks finely chopped)
- Fresh cilantro (1 inch thick bunch, finely chopped)
- Optional: Hearts of palm, green olives, toasted sliced almonds
- Donna Summer
I suggest you buy your fresh produce from the organic section of your local supermarket. After washing and preparing the fresh vegetables, toss all the ingredients except the avocado into one large bowl.
Slice lemons in half, remove the seeds and squeeze the juice of the lemons directly over the salad. Toss and begin to add the sea salt. After all the lemon juice is evenly distributed throughout the salad, sprinkle the extra virgin olive oil over the salad and toss again, all the while adding salt and pepper to taste. The sea salt will bring out flavors that regular salt will not bring out.
Just before serving, slice avocado from top to bottom in half, open and remove seed. Take a large spoon and scoop the avocado from its skin. Turn facedown and slice from top to bottom 5 times and then slice it into squares and toss into salad.
You are now finished with the salad… at this point you may feel free to begin singing “I work hard for the money”!
Be creative add your own beloved herbs… If there is something that you particularly like, then add it! There are no salad police!